I know some people have read this book more than 10 times and some even more! It's amazing to see how popular this book is. This book seeks to inspire people to remember the motto “I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul!” It has guided and helped millions of people who are searching for definite goals and purposes in their life and who want to become rich. Napoleon Hill's question to you is “What genius lies asleep in your brain?”
What do you want most in your life? Is it money, fame, power, contentment, happiness or love?
This book is based on over 25 years of research in collaboration with more than 500 of America's distinguished and most successful men of great wealth in the industrial age. These people include Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and John Rockefeller.Napoleon Hill interviewed some of these men who began from scratch. These wealthy men have explained the money making philosophy of their thoughts, ideas and organised plans. They revealed the source and secrets of their riches to the author and that was how this book was born.
1. Desire, the Starting Point of All Achievement. You need to fix in your mind the exact amount of money you desire, then determine what you intend to give in return. You need to have a definite date when you intend to possess the money you desire and then create a definite plan. Make a statement for the above and then read your written statement aloud twice a day; once when you are getting up in the morning and once before you go to the bed.
2. Faith, Visualization of and Belief in Attainment of Desire. Faith is one of the most powerful positive emotions and can remove limiting beliefs. If you develop your faith, riches will begin in the form of thought.
3. Auto – Suggestion, The Medium for Influencing the Subconscious Mind. Please repeat the statement of your first step loudly every day with emotion or feeling and visualise being in possession of your desired money.
4. Specialized Knowledge, Personal Experiences or Observations. The book concludes that knowledge is only potential power and will not attract money, unless it is organised and directed through practical plans of action to the definite end of accumulation of money.
5. Imagination, the Workshop of the Mind. An idea or an imagination with action can be turned into reality.
6. Organized Planning, the Crystallisation of Desire into Action. One of the big reasons that millions of people go through life in misery or poverty is because they lack a sound and intelligent plan through which to accumulate fortune.
7. Decision, the Mastery of Procrastination. The author found that most of these successful people had the habit of reaching decisions quickly and of changing these decisions slowly when they need to be changed.
8. Persistence, the Sustained Effort Necessary to Induce Faith. In real life lack of persistence and the habit of quitting when we are encountered by temporary defeat are the most common reasons for failure. The reason Thomas Edison was successful was because he did not quit even though he “failed” 10,000 times before he successfully invented the light bulb. Have you persisted in trying 10,000 times when you failed to do something? When defeat comes, re-examine your plan and rebuild it to sail toward your goal.
9. Power of the Master Mind, the Driving Force. Working with a “Master Mind” group is key to success. No individual can achieve great success on his/her own without the coordination of knowledge and efforts from others.
10. The Mystery of Sex Transmutation. Sexual desire is the most powerful of human desires. The desire for sexual contact is so strong and impelling that men freely run the risk of life and reputation to indulge it. Research shows that most men who are very successful and have achieved outstanding achievements are highly sexed men who got their energy and inspiration from the women they love.
11. The Subconscious Mind, the Connecting Link. There are seven very powerful positive emotions such as desire, faith, love, sex, enthusiasm, romance and hope. Our mind should be injected with these positive emotions to dominate and overcome the most negative emotions such as fear, jealousy, hatred, revenge, greed, superstition and anger.
12. The Brain, A broadcasting and Receiving station for Thought.
13. The Sixth Sense, the Door to the Temple of Wisdom. Most people have not developed this function, however, it has proved to work very well for some of these 500 successful people.
From the research the author found that riches when they come in huge quantities, are never the result of hard work! Riches come, in response to definite demands, based on the application of definite principles, and not by chance or luck. That is why this book is titled as “Think and Grow Rich”, but not as “Work Hard and Grow Rich”.
There are six basic fears for every one of us and fear of poverty is the strongest one. Recent research also shows that it is not a terrorist attack that people fear most, but it is the fear of running out of money when they are retired.
This book is about money, and some people argue that riches should not be measured only in money. However, MOST people would say “Give me all the money I want, and then I will find everything I need.” Money is power and it talks! That's why Think and Grow Rich still remains one of the best selling personal financial books of all time!